This Vegan Pot Pie Recipe is a delightful twist on the classic comfort food dish. It features a rich and flavorful vegetable filling encased in a flaky crust, providing a satisfying and nourishing meal for vegans and non-vegans alike. Bursting with colorful vegetables and aromatic herbs, this recipe showcases the versatility and deliciousness of plant-based ingredients. With its hearty texture and comforting flavors, this vegan pot pie is sure to become a favorite in your household.
Here’s the full recipe for Vegan Pot Pie, including nutrition facts and servings:
Preparation time: 30 minutes Cooking time: 40 minutes Total time: 1 hour 10 minutes Servings: 6
For the crust:
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup vegan butter, cold and cubed
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 6-8 tablespoons ice water
For the filling:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 medium carrots, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (or any non-dairy milk)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- ½ teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C).
- In a large bowl, combine the all-purpose flour and salt for the crust. Add the cold, cubed vegan butter. Using a pastry cutter or your fingers, cut the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Gradually add the ice water, one tablespoon at a time, while mixing the dough. Continue adding water until the dough comes together and is slightly sticky. Be careful not to overmix. Divide the dough in half, shape each half into a disc, wrap them in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for about 20 minutes.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet or pot over medium heat. Add the diced onion and minced garlic, and sauté until the onion becomes translucent and fragrant.
- Add the diced carrots and celery to the skillet and cook for about 5 minutes, or until they begin to soften.
Stir in the frozen green peas, corn kernels, and sliced mushrooms. Cook for another 5 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld together.
- Sprinkle the all-purpose flour over the vegetable mixture and stir well to coat the vegetables. Cook for 1-2 minutes to cook out the raw flour taste.
- Gradually add the vegetable broth and almond milk to the skillet, stirring continuously. Continue cooking and stirring until the mixture thickens and comes to a gentle boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the dried thyme, dried rosemary, salt, and black pepper. Stir well to incorporate the herbs and seasonings. Let the filling simmer for a few more minutes until it reaches a thick and creamy consistency. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Take one disc of dough out of the refrigerator. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to fit the size of your pie dish, making sure it’s large enough to cover the bottom and sides.
- Transfer the rolled-out dough to the pie dish, gently pressing it into the bottom and sides. Trim any excess dough hanging over the edges.
- Pour the prepared filling into the pie dish, spreading it evenly.
- Roll out the second disc of dough and place it on top of the filling. Press the edges of the top and bottom crusts together to seal. You can crimp the edges with a fork or your fingers for a decorative touch.
- Cut a few slits on the top crust to allow steam to escape during baking.
- Place the pot pie in the preheated oven and bake for about 30-35 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly.
- Once baked, remove the pot pie from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before serving. Slice into portions and serve warm.
Nutrition Facts (per serving):
Saturated Fat: 4.8g